Accueil SÉMINAIRES Séminaire 2006 "Self-Reflexivity as Self-Documentation: Some Thoughts on Augmented Reality and Relational Architecture" Horea Avram

"Self-Reflexivity as Self-Documentation: Some Thoughts on Augmented Reality and Relational Architecture" Horea Avram

In the present essay I propose to address the issue of new media documentation considering Rafael Lozano-Hemmer’s work Relational Architecture 11 – Under Scan (2005-2006). The main focus of my analysis is to see how self-reflexivity of an Augmented Reality artwork is doubled by a strategy of self-documentation. In the first part I will shortly explain where the self-reflexivity of the work in discussion is manifest, and then I will discuss the documentation problems considering four main elements identifiable in any new media artwork: Equipment – Work – Experience – Context. For each of these components, I will see where new media “classical” documentation methods are applicable and where self-documentation functions, taking into account the self-reflexivity attributes of this work: the play between illusion and its subversion, the balance between transparency and opacity of the medium, the representation within the work of its own structure.

Voir l'essai au format .pdf

Horea Avram : Ph.D. candidate in Art History and Communication Studies, McGill University, Montreal, Canada; Background in Art History and Cultural Management; Author of numerous critical essays in art magazines, and exhibition catalogues in Europe; Curator for Venice Biennial in 1999 (Romanian Pavilion), independent curator from 1996. Areas of interest: installation art and new digital media; Research subjects: the aesthetics of spaces in installation art and Augmented Reality.